|This guide is incomplete. You can help by expanding it.
For the old version of this guide, click here.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Academic
- 3 Cartography
- 4 Contraband
- 5 Elder
- 6 Goods
- 7 Great Game
- 8 Infernal
- 9 Influence
- 10 Legal
- 11 Luminosity
- 12 Mysteries
- 13 Nostalgia
- 14 Osteology
- 15 Rag Trade
- 16 Ratness
- 17 Rubbery
- 18 Rumour
- 19 Wild Words
- 20 Wines
- 21 Zee Treasures
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Grinds vs. carousels vs. conversions[edit | edit source]
For the purposes of this guide, a grind is a single repeatable action that reliably gives decent quantities of the expected item at little or no cost (besides actions). Grinds tend to generate lower-tier items, like Shards of Glim and Primordial Shrieks. For higher-tier items, you'll likely need to convert or do a carousel.
A carousel is a repeatable multi-action process. This guide includes some carousels, as these can also be considered a type of grind. Carousels involve going through a set series of actions, sometimes more than once, and often require raising a quality to a certain level and then cashing it out. Examples include the Boxful of Intrigue carousel (often used to obtain Mourning Candles), Dramatic Tension carousels War of Assassins and Wilmot's End (for Collections of Curiosities), and the various Arbor grinds. Another type of carousel involves a series of item conversions—notably the Cross conversion carousel for 50p items, which converts 50 of each item to 51 of the next and also raises Making Waves at certain points.
The third major way to obtain significant quantities of an item in Fallen London is to convert other items. This includes up-conversions (e.g., 50 x Drops of Prisoner's Honey to 10 x Romantic Notions) and side-conversions (e.g., 50 x Compromising Documents to 51 x Memories of Light). Since conversions are fairly straightforward and covered elsewhere, this guide does not attempt to list them all. For more information, refer to Items (Guide).
Grindable sources[edit | edit source]
The next sections list some of the most accessible and efficient grinds/carousels, and their requirements, for easy reference. Actions that are non-repeatable, or not easily repeatable (e.g., opportunity cards), are not included.
Academic[edit | edit source]
Academic items include: Foxfire Candle Stub, Flask of Abominable Salts, Memory of Distant Shores, Unprovenanced Artefact, and Volume of Collated Research.
Cartography[edit | edit source]
Cartography items include: Shard of Glim, Map Scrap, Zee-Ztory, Partial Map, Puzzling Map, Cartographer's Hoard, and Collection of Curiosities.
- x 1872 for Rob the Glim Shipment: Wait until it docks and rob the warehouse
- x 1296 for Rob the Glim Shipment: Rob the glim ship
Contraband[edit | edit source]
Contraband items include: Fistful of Surface Currency, Flawed Diamond, Ostentatious Diamond, London Street Sign, Use of Villains, Comprehensive Bribe, Magnificent Diamond, Rookery Password, and Fabulous Diamond.
- x 1 for Inspire her to imagine His Amused Lordship as a historical figure in exchange for x 20 Final Breath
Elder[edit | edit source]
Elder items include: Jade Fragment, Relic of the Third City, Mystery of the Elder Continent, Presbyterate Passphrase, Antique Mystery, Primaeval Hint, and Elemental Secret.
- x 300 for Search the lowest Floors at Watchful 220 while Diving in the Magistracy at Diving Depth 6; also gives you x 4 First City Coin
Goods[edit | edit source]
Goods items include: Certifiable Scrap, Nevercold Brass Sliver, Relic of the Fourth City, Relic of the Second City, Piece of Rostygold, and Knob of Scintillack.
- x 1000 for Concentrate on conversation at the resolution of Instructing a Louche Devil, plus over 100 per action while progressing
- x 102 for Steal props and goods from other theatres at Shadowy 102
Great Game[edit | edit source]
Great Game items include: Well-Placed Pawn, Final Breath, Moves in the Great Game, Vienna Opening, and Vital Intelligence.
- x 10 for Sell Him Surveys of the Neath's Bones in exchange for x 5
Infernal[edit | edit source]
Infernal items include: Soul, Amanita Sherry, Brilliant Soul, Muscaria Brandy, Brass Ring, Devilbone Die, Queer Soul, Silent Soul, Portfolio of Souls, Bright Brass Skull, and Coruscating Soul.
Soul[edit | edit source]
- x 10.5 per action from Rob the Brass Embassy ( x 500 per theft; IPA calculated assuming grinding casing with the Gang of Hoodlums; requires 171 cp of Casing... to 100% the challenge - if you fail, you go to jail, albeit without increasing A Criminal Record)
- x 60.5 per action on average from The prince of... ( x 1–120 , Shadowy 100 challenge, requires PoSI and Renown: Hell 10
- x 50 per action on average from Attend for a treatment ( x 100 with an alt success at 50%(?) chance; no challenge; requires Railway and Victoria's Spa at Ealing Gardens; additionally gives 1-2 x Brilliant Soul) or 5-7 x Compromising Document on alternative success.
- x 25 from the Steal Brilliant Souls en route to Hookman House option from Thefts of Particular Character; see the Casing Guide for more info.
Influence[edit | edit source]
Influence items include: Stolen Correspondence, Intriguing Snippet, Compromising Document, Secluded Address, Stolen Kiss, Favour in High Places, and Personal Recommendation.
- x 300 for Rob the Chambers of the Duchess: Rob the study; requires Route: The Shuttered Palace
- x 80 for Rob the main archive at the Ministry of Public Decency
- x 40 (alternate: 11–30) for Ambush a few couriers for old times' sake (2 actions) at Shadowy 100; requires PoSI; has a 40% alternative success chance of x 1
- x 300 when you Share what you've learned with a Second-Storey Man at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12). Also grants 1 x Favours: Criminals.
- x 35 when you Write it all down at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
- x 7 when you Speak of your work in intimate company at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
- x 1 per 3 Attar for Gift your Attar in tribute to the Roseate Queen
Legal[edit | edit source]
Legal items include: Infernal Contract, Dubious Testimony, Sworn Statement, and Legal Document.
- x 1 per for Barter your Attar
- x 1 per Permission to Linger for failing at Labour in the temple at Dangerous 75
- x 3 in exchange for 3 for Witness a trial at Watchful 115; requires x 1 which is lost if you fail
Luminosity[edit | edit source]
Luminosity items include: Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax, Phosphorescent Scarab, Memory of Light, Mourning Candle, Patent Scrutinizer, Eyeless Skull, Bejewelled Lens, and Ray-Drenched Cinder.
NB! Buying Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconverting it is a good way of obtaining Luminosity items, however it increases Advancing the Liberation of Night with every conversion. Currently TLoN doesn't have any averse gameplay impact, but this might change in future.
NB! If you have even a half-decent money grind, buying beeswax will beat all grinding methods listed below.
NB! Best method to get scarabs is to buy Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconvert.
- x 500 (failure: 300) for Breed the Plated Seal via Toadstools and a Stick at Luck 70%
- x 300 (failure: 200) for Breed the Tomb-Lion via A Firm Hand at Luck 70%
Buying x 500 Lump of Lamplighter Beeswax and upconverting:
- x 21 per 10 spent on x 500 . Action cost will be 10 / <your EPA> + 3. For example, with EPA of 2.5 this grind will net you x 3 Memory of Light per action.
- x 8 when you Send your report to certain bandaged gentlemen at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
Mysteries[edit | edit source]
Mysteries items include: Whispered Hint, Cryptic Clue, Appalling Secret, Tale of Terror!!, Journal of Infamy, Extraordinary Implication, Uncanny Incunabulum, Direful Reflection, Searing Enigma, Dreadful Surmise, and Impossible Theorem.
- x 1100 in exchange for 1000 , , or via Bartering with the Tiger Keeper
Mutton Island at 7–8
- x 145 for A night for... what exactly? at Shadowy 115; rare chance of x 5 and x 1 instead
- x 145 for Well Watching at Persuasive 115; alternative success x 3
- x 145 for Inside the Cock and Magpie at Watchful 115; rare chance of x 2 and x 2
- x 100 for The Eyes of Children; increases Nightmares
- x 100 for Dinner in the Fallen Columns at Persuasive 115; lowers Wounds and increases Nightmares
- If one has NOT completed the murder investigation at The University, then there is a grind that combines Investigating... and Making Use of Cats to give a maximum of x 954 in 10 actions at Watchful 177 and Shadowy 167. Lower attributes will mean either occasional failed challenges and/or using less profitable steps.
- Advance Featuring in the Tales of the University to 9.
- Advance Embroiled in the wars of Illusion to 10.
- Under Investigations in the university, interview the department staff three times and conduct forensic analysis once. This should raise Investigating... to 5 and produce 214 Cryptic Clues.
- Under Bats and Cats, choose Cats..., and then Try to find out about their allegiances once. This should raise Making Use of Cats to 2.
- This will cause the storylet Working with the Cats to re-appear at the top level of the Flit. Under that, assist a fortune teller four times. This should raise Making Use of Cats from 2 to 5 and produce 200 Cryptic Clues.
- Back under Bats and Cats, choose Spending Making Use of Cats and then Follow up a tip-off. This will reset Investigating... and Making Use of Cats and produce 540 Cryptic Clues.
- x 210 for Call in favours in the Wolfstack Docks, requires x 1
- x 5 for Have your soul examined at The Museum of Souls; locked with Your very own Infernal Contract or a Stain on Your Soul
- x 5 when you Examine the Galleries at The Museum of Souls, on a Watchful 220 success
- x 15 when you Listen to the Waters.
- x 1 for Request Another Demonstration (must first raise Ravages of Parabolan Warfare to 3 with Request A Demonstration, which will consume one Forty-Nine-Voiced Warbler)
Nostalgia[edit | edit source]
Nostalgia items include: Drop of Prisoner's Honey, Romantic Notion, Vision of the Surface, Touching Love Story, Bazaar Permit, and Soothe & Cooper Long-Box.
- x 8 from ...a Sealed Archive when robbing Baseborn & Fowlingpiece; has a rare chance (~18.24%) of x 1 instead
- x 1 on an alternative success (40%) for Ambush a few couriers for old times' sake (2 actions) at Shadowy 100; requires PoSI
Osteology[edit | edit source]
- x 1 when you Perform Outreach for the Church; A Church in the Wild has to be a Diocesan Church of Hell.
- x 3 in exchange for 5 Favours: Criminals
- x 3 in exchange for 2000 Jade Fragment
Rag Trade[edit | edit source]
Rag Trade items include: Silk Scrap, Surface-Silk Scrap, Whisper-Satin Scrap, Thirsty Bombazine Scrap, Puzzle-Damask Scrap, Parabola-Linen Scrap, Scrap of Ivory Organza, and Veils-Velvet Scrap.
- x 101–400 for Encourage the honest folk of Spite to give you 'gifts' (5 actions); requires PoSI and Ruthless 4
- x 16–55 (failure: 6–45) for Encourage the honest folk of Spite to give you 'gifts' (5 actions); requires PoSI and Ruthless 4
Ratness[edit | edit source]
Ratness items include: Rat on a String, Baptised Rattus Faber Corpse, Rat of Glory, and Venge-Rat Corpse.
Rubbery[edit | edit source]
Rubbery items include: Nodule of Deep Amber, Unearthly Fossil, Nodule of Trembling Amber, Nodule of Warm Amber, Nodule of Pulsating Amber, Nodule of Fecund Amber, and Fluke-Core.
- x 100 for Get in on a card game at Persuasive 100; requires x 25 and PoSI. Has a rare chance of x 1 Aeolian Scream.
Rumour[edit | edit source]
Rumour items include: Proscribed Material, Inkling of Identity, Scrap of Incendiary Gossip, An Identity Uncovered!, Night on the Town, Blackmail Material, Diary of the Dead, Intriguer's Compendium, and Rumourmonger's Network.
- x 100 for Rob the main archive at the Ministry of Public Decency
- x 315 Proscribed Material for Trade favours with revolutionaries
- x 450 for Escort duty, on success
Wild Words[edit | edit source]
Wild Words items include: Primordial Shriek, Maniac's Prayer, Correspondence Plaque, Aeolian Scream, Storm-Threnody, Night-Whisper, Starstone Demark, and Breath of the Void.
- x 1050 (failure: 700) for Breed the Somnolent Hyaena via Discipline at Luck 70%. Assuming high stats and using the Lab to generate the required Honey, this averages to 945 Shrieks every 13.8 actions, which is 68.48 Shrieks ( 1.37) per action.
- x 50 for Debate the nature of Primordial Shrieks at Watchful 100; requires PoSI. Has a rare chance of 1 x Aeolian Scream.
- x 310 (failure: 210) Breed the Somnolent Hyaena via Fungus and Pious Wrath at Luck 70%. Assuming high stats and using the Lab to generate the required Honey, this averages to 280 Prayers every 20.8 actions, which is 13.46 Prayers ( 1.35) per action.
- x 6 when you Share what you've learned with a Cross at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12). Also grants 1 x Favours: Urchins.
Wines [edit | edit source]
Wines items include: Bottle of Greyfields 1879, Bottle of Greyfields 1882, Bottle of Greyfields 1868 First Sporing, Bottle of Morelways 1872, Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe, Bottle of Broken Giant 1844, Cellar of Wine, Bottle of Fourth City Airag: Year of the Tortoise, Vial of Tears of the Bazaar, and Vial of Masters' Blood.
- x 50 for A tradition developed after the Fall at Watchful 100; requires PoSI. Has a rare chance of x 1 Aeolian Scream.
- x 35 when you Accept a gift for your efforts at the end of A Boxful of Intrigue carousel (which requires A Survivor of the Affair of the Box 12).
Zee Treasures[edit | edit source]
Zee Treasures items include: Moon-pearl, Deep-zee Catch, Royal-Blue Feather, Ambiguous Eolith, Carved Ball of Stygian Ivory, and Live Specimen.